Sunday, June 2, 2013

Productive Weekend

I spent most of Saturday trying to find appropriate fittings and hoses to plumb the dry sump tank. The shop that normally has "everything" didn't.  I finally remembered an AN-12 suction rated hose that I had used on a long gone midget that had a Cosworth engine. Then another trip to get the fittings to go with that hose. This allowed the completion of the engine's oil return hose to the dry sump tank and the suction hose to supply oil back to the engine.

Another time consuming task was making a fitting that screws into the engine block to supply coolant flow to the engine oil cooler. GM uses an aluminum tube with an o-ring for this. The tube fits into an adapter with a 28mm by 1.0 thread. The bends in the tube were in the wrong places. No one that I could find makes an M28x1.0 to AN-10 male adapter. My solution was to machine the GM fitting and an aluminum AN-10 adapter so they would mate. Then I prevailed on a friend to heliarc weld the two pieces together. Now I can use standard AN hoses and fittings for the oil cooler.

Also finished the installation of the engine, transaxle and exhaust system.
I did not accomplish my goal of getting the engine started. Still need to mount the fuel tank, run the hoses to the fuel pressure regulator and then back to the tank. Also need to jury rig the wiring before the engine can be started. After that, I'll probably work on shortening the computer's wiring harness to fit the car.
Slower than I would like but progress is being made. If I can figure out how to take and post a video, I'll post the engine's first start in the car. Hopefully tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update glad your making some good but slow finishing progress - it that a fuel tank in the front of the car?
    Can we get some more images of the front and rear end as well as the fuel tank and oil tank some side shots would be good also
    Thanks
    Graeme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that the cooling system is done, and the radiators are mounted, I'll roll it out of the garage and get some better pix taken and posted. That is the fuel tank in front. It is about 15 gallon capacity and has a full SFI safety bladder, internal surge tank, fuel pump and filter.

      Delete