Sunday, July 21, 2013

Goals, Frustration and Progress

Setting and achieving goals has always been a really big deal to me.  Since I was a teen, I've set written personal, sports and financial or business goals around the beginning of each year. Once set, I concentrate on and work hard to achieve them.  I think about and spend at least some time dedicated to achieving those goals almost every day.

With several notable exceptions, I usually achieve those goals.

After my wife Denise and I ordered the D2 last November, several of my 2013 Goals involved our new Palatov D2.

In January of 2013 they all seemed very reasonable and achievable.   The result has been excellent so far but it has occurred much more slowly than we had hoped.

Despite diligent efforts and a large commitment of time, I FAILED to achieve most of the goals that were set.  I'll continue to work on and finish the car but took some time off and will work on it with a little less urgency.

It now has headlights, brake lights, tail lights, turn signals, hazard flashers, horn, windshield, wipers, speedometer, odometer etc.

It is now street legal (I think) and will be inspected for legal compliance and safety by a representative of the National Street Rod Association next Tuesday evening. If it passes inspection and we receive a corrected Certificate of Origin from Palatov, I'll be ready for the Illinois State Police inspection and then finally get it titled and licensed by the Illinois Secretary of State.

Hopefully we will have a street legal car that we can actually drive within a couple more days.

I'll post again when that milestone is achieved.

3 comments:

  1. Hi John, I have really enjoyed reading your blog since you took the D2 order this year.

    Keep up the good work. I am living this dream through you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John, That reminds me of my trials with New York registering a mid-engined dune buggy in the mid seventies. It was probably easier then but still no fun. I follow you and Dennis now that I'm retired and no longer take on "Big" projects. Please visit my Flicker: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mixflickr/

    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement guys. It is sincerely appreciated. I like the baby blue color on your VW powered creation Mick.

    John

    ReplyDelete